Skip to main content

Sinn Féin: Has their day come?

In an apparent moment of wisdom recently, somebody muttered to me: "There are two things you should never do in life: take heroin, or vote for Sinn Fein."


Sinn Fein TDs: Pearse Doherty, Gerry Adams, Mary-Lou McDonald, Martin McGuinness. Source: theJournal.ie

I thought this was interesting, and behind this stark statement I have heard many people discreetly share the same viewpoint in the run up to the general election. And I wanted to find out exactly why...

My granny has always been had a keen interest in politics, but has never had a soft spot for Sinn Fein. Many a time I have been treated to her using an array of colourful adjectives to describe the party's leader, Gerry Adams. I was always intrigued by this. Yes, my granny is a big Fine Gael supporter, but she doesn't seem to have the same level of hatred for Fine Fail or Labour that she begrudges Sinn Fein...

Eager to get to the bottom of this intrinsic loathing of Sinn Fein, I asked my mother. She summarised: "Gavin - I grew up during the Troubles. In my era, every day there was a newspaper headline or a news report telling of the latest victim of the ongoing Republican-Unionist feud." She referenced the alliances and links between the IRA and Sinn Fein which have been touted by the media throughout the years. I'm not going to try to validate or disprove any of those allegations. But, what I will say, is that a whole section of society is anti-Sinn Fein as a result. There is a large percentage of the population who will simply never vote Sinn Fein.


IPSOS MRBI/Irish Times Poll 22/02/2016 - Source: RTE.ie

I'm only 17 years-old, and I have been intrigued by the growing support for the party in the recent past. John Brady, the candidate in my constituency (Wicklow), is sure to get elected this week. Meanwhile, poles are suggesting that Sinn Fein holds 16% of the national vote. They seem to have cashed-in on a pronounced nationalistic spirit among those from poorer socio-economic backgrounds and capitalised on it by targeting their policies at those in society with the least money. So-called 'auction politics' has become a very obvious tactic by a number of parties in this general election.

Regardless of the party's policies, my parents are adamant that they will never vote Sinn Fein. Not because they feel the local candidate isn't experienced enough, not necessarily because they completely reject all of the party's agenda, but because of the party's origins and the history associated with it. Some might regard this as illogical and unforgiving, but frankly, in a democracy, each citizen has the right to vote for who and what they want.

For me and my peers, the troubles did not directly affect us in our lifetime. I don't think that we'll automatically disregard Sinn Fein because of the history linked to the party. That history is pontificated so frequently in the media even today, but we didn't live through it. It isn't so real to us.

I need to point out that there is a stigma attached to voting for Sinn Fein - A 'Shinner' is assumed to be either a die-hard republican, or someone from a lesser socio-economic background (who follows them based on their agenda which calls for more provisions for those least well-off in society). And I'm not suggesting that this is a fair assumption, and of course I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with a person who votes Sinn Fein. I'm interested to see if the branding of Sinn Fein voters in this manner will become out-dated in the years to come.

Party leaders and prominent members will move on. The past will be forgiven, but maybe never quite forgotten. Will Sinn Fein see a new era? Maybe that era is today... Friday will be the judge of that.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 'A Word'

"YOU support murdering children?"   It was a simple exchange. We were talking about faith in the modern world, and I foolishly dropped the 'A Word'. Hinting my feelings in relation to this controversial topic, I was immediately stopped in my tracks. My words had led to a judgement being made about my character and my personality. This headline from Waterford Whispers News summarises what has happened to the debate in Ireland: It's ironic, because since the debate has come into general public consideration in Ireland, it has almost become more of a taboo. A highly emotionally-charged debate, both sides will shoot the other down with provocative statements. People are afraid to open their mouths about it in case they are ridiculed for their views. This is exacerbated by the far-left and far-right musings on social media, suggesting that there is little or no middle-ground in this debate. Whatever side of the tracks you are on, or whether you have made ...

Coldplay: Before the boredom set in

The scramble for tickets is just insane. Thousands of teenagers and adults battling on TripAdvisor to get good seats. And after a couple of stressful moments, no more tickets! Isn't it so funny. This is the Coldplay that is doing duets with Rihanna and Beyonce, this is the Coldplay that releases EDM records. It's a very different Coldplay to that of 2005. These two are from the album 'X + Y'. My dad used to have this in the car the whole time so I had months of listening to the album nonstop - but that was years ago. I hit shuffle on Spotify and heard Square One - the opening track, one I recognised instantly from the distinctive riff. Square One is a very interesting start to the album - the synth combined with loud guitars gives the band a very unique sound. The track really builds up. The guitars pick up pace and the song is very lively heading from the chorus into the second verse. There's a James Bond-like riff to follow every line. It's one of my favou...

Cherrywood: Dublin's next planned town

Cherrywood is a suburb in Dublin 18 - wait: do we even use those postcodes anymore? Nevermind. It's an area that sprung up in the late 90s/early 00s centered around a business park which is home to Dell and a number of other large corporations. There is currently a vast swathe of green land next to the office park all reared and ready for development. In fact, the media have reported this as the creation of a new Dublin suburb. Sounds great, eh? Roughly the location of the proposed suburb. And I stress the word 'roughly'! Here's the site outlining the plans:  http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/ Some of the lines from the site are quite poetic, to say the least: "This will be modern urban living at its best, a positive synergy of work, rest and play, " "Cherrywood will redefine quality of life in Dublin, integrating homes and shops, work and transport, schools and parks in a positive, sustainable society like nowhere else in the capital....