Skip to main content

We've been spending most our lives livin' in an Anglicised paradise...

DISCLAIMER: This article has absolutely nothing to do with the 90s rap one hit wonder Coolio. He probably Googles himself from time to time and might come across this.
There we were, about 10 minutes into a 3 hour journey on the Italian autostrada.. air conditioning was at full blast, we were slowly but surely getting the hang of driving on the right hand side and learning the local drivers idiosyncratic inability to indicate when changing lanes. I was sitting in the back and remembered a question posed to me by someone before I jetted off: “Do you have any Italian?” - a fair question, to which I responded: “Does the word pizza count?”.

I asked the same question to my fellow travellers, hoping that when we reached our destination at least one of us would actually be able to converse in the vernacular. They admitted that they only had a few words. "How do you say ‘hello’ in Italian?” I piped up, alarmed by my own ignorance. There was an awkward silence as nobody could give an instant answer.

We resorted to making a collective effort. Firstly, we went through the greetings in other languages: ‘Salut' in French, 'Hola' in Spanish and 'Dia Duit' in Irish, attempting to uncover some logical sequence or pattern that would lead us to our answer. Fifteen minutes later, realised that the word we had been looking for was ‘ciao’. Far too obvious! Well our delay may have partly been due to a 4am start, partial dehydration and a general discomfort being in new surroundings. However it struck me that I had absolutely no Italian. None. "Well they'll all speak English when we get there" I assured myself smugly. The opposite was true.


It wasn't that they didn't speak English at all, they just had a very basic standard. The hotel staff, the waiters and the taxi drivers could barely hold basic conversation in English. Attempts to seek help when there was a problem left us flummoxed. We tried repeating the same thing numerous times, each repetition at a slower pace, as if speaking to a deaf pensioner or baby. That didn't work. Speaking French, hoping that they would be accustomed to dealing with French-speaking tourists, also left us stuck.

I was surprised. Very surprised. How come that in France, where I have gone a lot in recent years, the locals seem to have no trouble with English? In fact, they preferred practising their English than replying to any pigeon French I had attempted to construct. In Italy, this was not the case. The dialogues we had were unusual insofar as often they spoke Italian and we responded in English, somehow both convinced that we both entirely understood what the opposite party was trying to communicate.


Straight away I blamed them. ‘Their education system obviously isn't up to scratch’ and ‘How can they maintain a tourist industry of they can't even speak to their clientele?’ I hypothesised. But how dare I blame them, when it is my entitled and spoilt attitude that needs to be addressed. This piece isn't about the linguistic skills of those particular Italians I bumped into on my travels, but more so about my ignorance. As an English speaker who only uses one language 99.96% of the time (don't quote me on that stat) I have the propensity to expect foreigners to speak my language almost as a mark of respect when I'm abroad.



I will finish with a blunt lesson in foreign etiquette from French rugby player Sebastien Chabal. Maybe it's the French living up to their stubborn stereotype, or perhaps the man is highlighting our ignorance and sense of entitlement.



adiós/arrivederci/au revoir*

Gavin.

*Other languages do exist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 'A Word'

"YOU support murdering children?"   It was a simple exchange. We were talking about faith in the modern world, and I foolishly dropped the 'A Word'. Hinting my feelings in relation to this controversial topic, I was immediately stopped in my tracks. My words had led to a judgement being made about my character and my personality. This headline from Waterford Whispers News summarises what has happened to the debate in Ireland: It's ironic, because since the debate has come into general public consideration in Ireland, it has almost become more of a taboo. A highly emotionally-charged debate, both sides will shoot the other down with provocative statements. People are afraid to open their mouths about it in case they are ridiculed for their views. This is exacerbated by the far-left and far-right musings on social media, suggesting that there is little or no middle-ground in this debate. Whatever side of the tracks you are on, or whether you have made ...

Coldplay: Before the boredom set in

The scramble for tickets is just insane. Thousands of teenagers and adults battling on TripAdvisor to get good seats. And after a couple of stressful moments, no more tickets! Isn't it so funny. This is the Coldplay that is doing duets with Rihanna and Beyonce, this is the Coldplay that releases EDM records. It's a very different Coldplay to that of 2005. These two are from the album 'X + Y'. My dad used to have this in the car the whole time so I had months of listening to the album nonstop - but that was years ago. I hit shuffle on Spotify and heard Square One - the opening track, one I recognised instantly from the distinctive riff. Square One is a very interesting start to the album - the synth combined with loud guitars gives the band a very unique sound. The track really builds up. The guitars pick up pace and the song is very lively heading from the chorus into the second verse. There's a James Bond-like riff to follow every line. It's one of my favou...

Cherrywood: Dublin's next planned town

Cherrywood is a suburb in Dublin 18 - wait: do we even use those postcodes anymore? Nevermind. It's an area that sprung up in the late 90s/early 00s centered around a business park which is home to Dell and a number of other large corporations. There is currently a vast swathe of green land next to the office park all reared and ready for development. In fact, the media have reported this as the creation of a new Dublin suburb. Sounds great, eh? Roughly the location of the proposed suburb. And I stress the word 'roughly'! Here's the site outlining the plans:  http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/ Some of the lines from the site are quite poetic, to say the least: "This will be modern urban living at its best, a positive synergy of work, rest and play, " "Cherrywood will redefine quality of life in Dublin, integrating homes and shops, work and transport, schools and parks in a positive, sustainable society like nowhere else in the capital....